Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Bizzare Travels 1.0


Okay, so I am starting a new thing on my blog called, "Bizzare Travels." I have always had a taste for the weird of America. So, here, I will write about some of my experiences in these places. Might be interesting, or maybe not.

The first place I am going to focus on are my travels out west. I have been to the Southwest about six times now, and all of those times where done by driving. I know, I know, but first, I hate to fly, and second, when you drive, you see all of America and its weirdness.

For example, you see the greatest roadside attractions out west. On the border of Arizona, there is unimaginable beauty with giant rocks and cliff on the side of the road. It is especially amazing if you hit this spot just as the sun rises. The resulting colors look like a bowl of fruit loops, except brighter and way more beautiful. Oh yeah, and you cannot eat them either.

But, there is also this weird roadside stand that sells all kinds of stuff ranging from cheap tourist crap (cactus seeds being my favorite and ones i actually bought. They didnt work very well) to beautiful hand made crafts from the Navajo reservation.

However, there is one roadside attraction out west that truly takes the crown, and that is the gas station/road side musuem/total crap shop that is advertised for 200 miles along the road from Las Cruces, New mexico to Tuscan Arizona. And it contains a bit of a mystery, something that has baffeled scientists, historians and such knowledgable persons.

It is simply the mystery of "The Thing". What is the thing? well that is the question, isnt it? It is in a box with a glass top. So, what is it? As if i am going to tell you! It is mysterious, strange, and a thing. Isnt that enough for you to take a drive out in the middle of nowhere in the Arizona desert to find out? Hmmmm????? It might just change your life.

Or, maybe not.

No comments: