Monday, May 14, 2007

The Confessions of Jane Austen


I need to confess something. Something I have kept hidden from everyone but my wife. It is a secret that might change everything and the way you all view me. But, in the spirit of openess, I feel I must confess. History will judge me if I was right to make this public. So be it.

but, before I do, I must tell you, I love sports of all kinds, and all other kind of male activities. I can scream and yell at guys who I do not even know for doings wrong that really have no effect on my life whatsoever. I know all of this, but i still do it. I play fantasy football every year, just for bragging rights on something I had really nothing to do with at all.

Why am I saying all of this? Well, because of the confession.

I am a Jane Austen fan. No, she isn't a sexy model or a hot actress. She is a writer. A very good one. Well, great one really. And she writes novels that most guys would not touch with a ten foot pole. It's really too bad, because they are missing out.

Me? I love her, her writing and her stories. They are moving, good in depth character studies and simply fantastic to read.

Some of you might say, well, here is a primary case of a husband pretending to love what his wife does. Well, certainly, I was introduced to Jane Austen by my wife. No question about that. And, certainly, my love for her writing is linked to the love i have for my wife. but, it would be more accurate to say that my love for Jane Austen grew out of the garden of love that I have for my wife. Wow, hope that wasnt too cheesy.

Anyway, for guys who like to read, JA is a good one. Her character development alone is worth it. But, from a theological perspective, she affirms and critiques in ways that should be appreciated. While affirming a good marriage and the need for it, along with the crying need for community, she also takes a good stab at the pretention and pride that we often set up for ourselves in our lives. Or to put it in a clear way, she shows what happens when people take the created thing and put it in the place of the Creator, whether that be marriage, friendship, land, money or social standing. Her eye is unflinching and intelligent without being cynical or morose, two horrible ailments that have gripped my generation.

So, pick up Jane Austen. Enjoy it. I did. Even as I was waiting for the start of Spiderman 3 surrounded by a bunch of drunk frat boys at the midnight showing, I was reading Jane.

Contradiction? Maybe, but one I can live with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear. Well, you have me for company in this area, though I don't know exactly if that will help or hurt your case for the possibility of being both manly and a lover of Austen. Help, I think. I have only read Pride and Prejudice up until this point, though I am currently reading Sense and Sensibility. And many of the movies are good too.